At Shirland Primary School we aim to deliver a high quality English curriculum that gives children the best possible opportunities to become confident, literate, successful members of society with a deep love and understanding of English language and literature. We believe the development of English skills is central to improving a child's life chances.
We want children to leave our school being able to...
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding and enjoyment
- read widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- gain a wide vocabulary and an understanding of grammar
- write clearly, accurately, coherently and confidently
- elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas in discussions